Saturday, October 9, 2010

SAT

I was asked to proctor the SAT testing today for area seniors.  I kinda felt like the test administer Dr. Ramirez /Andy Garcia in Stand and Deliver as he gives instructions, observes, and walks around the room during the test.  Use a number 2 pencil, fill in the bubble completely, erase thoroughly, carefully read the questions, multiple choice answers, you will have 25 minutes for this portion of the test, you may begin the this portion of the test.  
Are the students of today ready to leave their adolescent and venture out into the world.  Are they ready for the next step?  As educators have you prepared them to go to college?  Am I ready for them to come to the university?   So many questions, eighteen years is so little time.  

4 comments:

Jimmy Shuck said...

How very true. My son is a senior this year and I often wonder did I do everything I could to prepare him for life after high school.

Anna Fox said...

Jimmy you and I are in the same boat. My son is a senior too. I have prayed and prepared and now I am praying some more. Just today when I had him the car alone we had another one of thoes talks about college... Poor thing he is my first.

Joanna said...

Linda,

Your comment fits in so well with our discussion in class today. Are today's college students being developed as "intentional learners?" According to the Greater Expectations website,in order to be developed as intentional learners, instructors must expose college students to the ideas of empathy for others, social responsibility, ongoing learning, an understanding of oneself and others cultures. to paraphrase Dr. Kemp, teaching only reading, writing, and arithmetic doesn't cut it any longer in our global society.

Dr. Hollatz said...

I love this movie comparison! I am reminded myself of the movie Billy Madison. Behind the comdey and ridiculousness of Adam Sandler's character is the message: "Do kids get lost and pushed along in the system?"

Fortunately for "Billy" he got to go back to school and learn his life lessons. The students of today don't have the opportunity to turn the clock back and fix the mistakes of their past. Our job as teachers is to make sure there are as few mistakes as possible for them while they are under our care.